The first thing you should be aware of when shoe shopping for children is that they may not fit for long. Shoes sizes can change as soon as every few months depending on how quickly your child’s feet are growing.
Nonetheless, it is still very important to keep up with your child’s footwear needs. Do not purchase pairs of shoes that are bigger than your child’s current needs for them to “grow into.” Loose shoes can cause plenty of harm and discomfort in the meantime!
When looking for a proper fit, check for:
- A stiff heel that doesn’t collapse when you squeeze it from the sides.
- Flexibility in the toes without being flimsy.
- A rigid middle that resists your attempts to twist it.
- Minimal slipping of the heel when your child moves in the shoe.
- Proper width, being able to squeeze into the sides of the shoe a bit around your child’s foot.
- About an index finger’s width of room between the longest toe and the inside front of the shoe.
If you have any questions about your child’s footwear, or any concerns about their foot or ankle health, please don’t hesitate to contact us. We’ll be happy to help you.