Back to school shopping is here; crayons, pens, backpacks and, of course, new shoes. Finding the right pair of school shoes can seem like a lot of work, but stick with these five tips, and you are well on your way to finding your child a great supportive shoe.
1. Sizing: Even if you think you know what size shoe your child wears, have them sized again at the store. Children’s feet are always changing and growing and it is more likely that they have outgrown their shoes from last year. No one wants to be walking around with cramped toes!
2. Breathability: Try and find shoes that wick away moisture and allow air to circulate. Remember that your child is going to be wearing their shoes for around 8 hours straight! They need something that allows air to flow. Also when they get home have them take their shoes and socks off and air out their shoes and feet.
3. Stability: Your child’s shoes should provide support and flexibility. Look for shoes that bend around the toe but are stable in the center. Also, steer clear of shoes that you can twist. You want your shoes to be flexible, but still provide support.
4. Comfort: When having your child try on shoes ask them how they feel. Have them walk around in them for a few minutes. See what the stores policy is on returns. Some stores will let you take the shoes home and wear them around for a while to make sure they work well for your child. The most important thing is that your child feels comfortable in their shoes.
5. Brands: Not all shoe brands are created equal. Look for back to school sales to get a deal, but remember to get a shoe that meets the criteria above. There are many shoes out there that are cheaply made and you will end up spending more money in the long run on lots of cheap shoes instead of one good solid pair.
Taking care of your child’s feet when they are young is crucial since their feet are changing and developing all the time. If you would like to read more about children’s feet click here. Dr. Evan Merrill is ready to help you or your child with all your foot health needs. Come see him and our staff at Southern Oregon Foot and Ankle LLC today! Make an appointment by calling 541-776-3338 or by filling out our online form.