Sweaty feet lead to stinky feet and no one wants to be around stinky feet. Sweaty, stinky feet are very common, but there are some things you can do to keep your feet dry, and stink free.
Stinky feet occur when excess sweat builds up in your shoes and produces an odor causing bacteria. If your feet continue to sweat, the smell will continue to get worse. So let’s start with the sweating, which will help eliminate the odor.
- One thing you can do if you have sweaty feet is to try an antiperspirant designed just for your feet, like this one. Apply to your feet once a day as needed.
- Look for shoes and socks that are breathable allowing moisture to wick away from the feet. Try and steer clear of 100% cotton socks since cotton does not wick away moisture.
- Put baby or foot powder in your shoes on a daily basis. This helps to dry out the shoe and helps with odor.
- If possible, take your shoes off during the day and let them air out. If you aren’t able to do that at work, take them off the moment you get home.
- Insoles, like these, are great to help absorb odor.
- Wash your feet daily with an antibacterial soap, making sure to wash well in between the toes. Also, make sure to dry your feet off completely before putting socks and shoes on.
If you are still experiencing stinky, sweaty feet after trying these methods, make an appointment with your local podiatrist. If you are in the Southern Oregon area Dr. Evan Merrill and his staff at Southern Oregon Foot & Ankle, LLC want to help you achieve your best foot health. Make an appointment today by calling 541-776-3338 or by filling out our online form.