Our society in general is always looking for ways to loose weight, and we know that our metabolism plays a major role in how easily we loose that weight. There are many factors contributing to how fast our bodies will burn calories. Men tend to burn calories faster than women, and usually around age 40 our metabolism starts to slow down. Some people are just born with faster metabolisms than others, and although you can’t change your age, genetics, or gender, there are some ways to help speed up your metabolism.
- Muscle Strengthening: The more muscle mass you have the more calories your body burns. Each pound of muscle needs around 6 calories a day to support itself, whereas each pound of fat only needs 2 calories per day. So, if you have more muscle mass than fat your body will burn more calories a day.
- High Intensity Exercise: Think about trying out a more intense class at your gym. These workouts that push your body more than your low to moderate intensity workouts will create a larger and longer rise in your resting metabolic rate. So for a few hours after your workout your metabolism will be working faster than normal.
- Drink More Water: Our bodies need water to process the calories that we take in and when we are even a little dehydrated our metabolism starts to slow down. So, keep a water bottle handy or snack on fresh fruit and vegetables that naturally contain water over salty snacks that can dehydrate your body.
- Eat More Often: You read that right. Eating smaller meals more often opposed to 3 bigs meals a day can help speed up your metabolism. When your body goes for big periods of time without food your metabolism starts to slow down. Try and have small snack every 3-4 hours to keep your metabolism moving.
- Give Your Meals a Little Kick: A Spicy kick that is. Adding a little heat to the meals your prepare can get your metabolism moving faster. Try adding a little more chili powder or red pepper flakes to your next meal.
Make sure to try some of these simple tricks to speed up your metabolism, and to work towards a healthier lifestyle. Dr. Evan Merrill is a big supporter of eating healthy and keeping your feet and body healthy. Come by his office at Southern Oregon Foot & Ankle LLC. If you have any foot concerns make sure to make an appointment online or call 541-776-3338.