With St. Patrick’s Day right around the corner its about all things Irish and green: shamrock shakes, corned beef and cabbage, and mint desserts for days. If you aren’t going for a high fat or sugar coma filled meal though, we have some great options for some green super foods that should be a part of your every day diet, not just on St. Patty’s day.
1. Kale: A rich source of vitamins A, C, and K. It is also a good source of iron, potassium and calcium. Throw a handful in your favorite smoothie, or mixed in with other salad greens, kale is a great addition to your daily diet.
2. Broccoli: Rich in fiber, and is an excellent source of potassium, Vitamins B, A and plenty of antioxidants. Broccoli is perfect as a snack with hummus, in a salad, or steamed for a side dish with dinner.
3. Kiwi: Kiwi sometimes seems to get forgotten but this little fruit packs quite a bit of nutrients including a high content of fiber, and Vitamins C and K. Kiwis are also very antioxidant rich which can help reduce the risk of cancer and heart disease.
4. Edamame: Perfect for snacking and salads, edamame is high in fiber, rich in calcium and is a complete protein.
5. Green Peppers: These guys are very versatile. They are perfect for a quick healthy snack, toss them in your salad, or on your pizza. Green peppers are good source of Vitamin C and K as well as folate.
6. Asparagus: Springtime is asparagus season, so look for it to go on sale more often at your local grocery store. It is full of vitamins and nutrients such as Vitamins K,C and A as well as folate. It is high in fiber and protein and is great for your digestive health.
There are always ways to improve your eating habits, and the best way to do it is to smart small and make simple healthy choices everyday. At Southern Oregon Foot & Ankle, LLC we know overall health is important for your foot health. If you are in need of a podiatrist look no further than Dr. Evan Merrill. Make an appointment today by calling us at 541-776-3338 or by filling out our online form.